Unofficial Mills

James Corden vs Patrick Stewart

cxx666

This was touched on yesterday afternoon, and discussed by Chris and team this morning at the start of the breakfast show, but for anyone who hasn't had a chance to see the exchange between James Corden and a rather rude Patrick Stewart at a recent awards ceremony, here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyNvyn0mBXY

I can't decide if PS is trying to be funny and its just can't pull it off, or if he is just being exceptionally rude for no apparent reason. I would have thought it was staged, but I get the impression from the serious look on JC's face particularly when the belly is mentioned that he was genuinely surprised and offended by what PS was saying about/to him

Not impressed with censorship

It was a bad joke, yes, but Corden really didn't need to react the way he did about it. It was the same type of joke he's based his career on so I don't see what his problem was. Also that stupid bint who plays Nu-Hura didn't help things either. Think both were wrong here, but Corden a little more so, if he's such a professional, he could have handled a small joke better. Squaring up to an old man, yeah that makes you REAL Brave James.... :rolleyes:

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

Think both were wrong here, but Corden a little more so

Disagree, Cordon merely used his right to reply. The comment about 'dying' wasn't an age reference. It was a reference to the lack of a punchline. Stewart could have just done what he was booked for and hand out an award, instead he chose to start an argument

take control

Stewart just made a bad joke, the 'comedian' overreacted. Agree Stewart shouldn't have done that but Corden was aggressive in his reply for no reason. I know it wasn't an age reference, but it was still unwarranted. Stewart is a legend, what gives Corden the right to treat him the way he did over a joke (an admittedly lame one, but still a joke). Also the way he butted in so rudely, he didn't give Stewart the chance to finish.

If James Corden ever becomes a knight (which WON'T happen) and a legend at the level Stewart is, I hope someone treats him like crap over a lame joke (which he makes himself sometimes, even now) and see how he likes it.

No problem with him using his so-called right to reply, but the way he did it was highly unprofessional. Is he really that thin-skinned unless he's the one making the joke about his belly? :rolleyes:

Marvin, I can see you have a slight point, JC does make jokes about his weight however what PS said was uncalled for. It doesnt matter how much of a legend PS may or not be, even if it was a joke it didnt come across as 1. The bit at the beginning where he seemed unsure of his name seemed like a bit of humour and was taken as such, but from there on it went downhill. There wasn't a need to pass comment on what was going on in the background, he was there to hand out an award and that was it.

I don't blame JC for being pissed off by what was said, someone who thought they were being funny was ripping into his size infront of a lot of people. Jo Brand often makes jokes about being fat, but does that give others the right to make out of the blue comments about her size and rip into her for it ? I think not

Not impressed with censorship

Jo Brand often makes jokes about being fat, but does that give others the right to make out of the blue comments about her size and rip into her for it ? I think not

It happens at her live gigs, the difference is Jo Brand has the experience, humour and professionalism to deal with it better than Corden, despite outward appearances.

Both men came out badly. Stewart was clearly trying to be funny at Corden's expense and Corden could end world hunger and still be a dick. Neither man won out in this case.

Yeah, agree with that. Like I said I don't really like what Stewart did either, but Corden's reaction also made him look like an unprofessional a*** to me.

i like Stewart & Corden,

however Stewart looked like a complete cock & my opinion of him has fell quite sharply due to this indecent, i don't know what he was thinking, Corden should have come up with something better though, this is how it should have been done

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwzDyQRARE0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwzDyQRARE0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

:)

Now see, that's the one time I've ever laughed at Russell Brand. His retort was quite funny and he didn't sound overly aggressive like Corden, he wasn't snarling into Geldof's face etc. Also this appears to have been a much bigger awards thing too.

Disagree, Cordon merely used his right to reply. The comment about 'dying' wasn't an age reference. It was a reference to the lack of a punchline. Stewart could have just done what he was booked for and hand out an award, instead he chose to start an argument

Couldn't agree more. Stewart had a lame dig, and if he's a knight he should start acting like one. Corden responded and made him look stupid on stage, as you would if someone has a go at you so publicly like that. Stewart in the wrong for me entirely.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

Couldn't agree more. Stewart had a lame dig, and if he's a knight he should start acting like one. Corden responded and made him look stupid on stage, as you would if someone has a go at you so publicly like that. Stewart in the wrong for me entirely.

I'm guessing you'd still say that had Corden made a joke about Stewart first too... and it wasn't a go, it was a joke. People REALLY need to learn the f***ing difference here, especially so-called comedians like Corden. :rolleyes:

Corden had a right to reply, but he's not a Jimmy Carr who can kill hecklers beautifully in one swoop. It came across far too defensive and yet aggressive at the same time. Plus, he's a dick so it's not like Stewart shouldn't have said anything. He should have just ripped him for his shit Horne & Corden show and the awful skits with the England team, rather than his weight.

I'm guessing you'd still say that had Corden made a joke about Stewart first too... and it wasn't a go, it was a joke. People REALLY need to learn the f***ing difference here, especially so-called comedians like Corden. :rolleyes:

Is your argument just based on your obvious dislike of Corden?

take control

No, there was a point where I liked him, then he had to go and be an arse about this. I dislike this, I like some of his other work, but even the stuff he's done that I liked was nothing special really, this just sends him down in my estimation (and also Stewart a little too, FYI, that will probably be ignored... but there we go :x). He had the potential to deal with it in a way that was actually funny, and he blew it, apparently due to his own ego.

I don't like Russell Brand, but the way he dealt with things in the Geldof video was a million times better than Corden here and I actually liked what Brand did, even if it is the only time I've ever really laughed at anything he did. I may not like his style but he had the professionalism not to get in Geldof's face about it and start snarling at him etc. I did already mention this in posts above.

So in a word, No, that isn't the sole basis of my argument. :rolleyes:

Is your argument just based on your obvious dislike of Corden?

No. Not just an obvious dislike of Corden. An obvious dislike of me too.

ChrisHewgill.jpg