Unofficial Mills

Commercial radio asks Radio 1 and 2 to refocus

Jono

Commercial radio body the RadioCentre has labelled the BBC’s proposals to shut 6 Music as a “figleaf ” to divert attention away from the need to overhaul the remit of Radio 1 and 2.

In its response to the BBC Strategy Review, the RadioCentre submitted five key proposals to the BBC Trust, which include the “fundamental repositioning” of Radio 1 and 2. It wants the corporation to retrench Radio 1 as a station for teens, with Radio 2 placing more emphasis on listeners over 40 years old.

RadioCentre chief executive Andrew Harrison said reining in Radio 1 and 2 would not guarantee commercial radio’s revival, but that the changes would give the commercial sector more space in which to operate.

“The BBC is a market leader in radio by a mile and has a responsibility to maximise its public service values, and it’s rather lost sight of that in the pursuit of listeners,” said Harrison. “We want Radio 1 to regain its status as a genuine station for younger listeners with a specific remit to break UK bands. It’s deflected from that remit over the past few years and has been butting up against commercial radio.”

Earlier this week, R1 revealed plans to focus on new music.

The RadioCentre proposals follow an independent report into BBC Radio by consultancy Value Partners, which spoke to the likes of ex culture secretary Lord Smith, TV producer Peter Bazalgette and former Radio 2 controller Lesley Douglas. The report said it was ambivalent about the closure of 6 Music.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/radio/radiocentre-brands-bbc-6-music-plans-a-fig-leaf/5014861.article

I hate this nature that whenever something is successful they are asked to step back and readjust for competitors. It seems to be happening everywhere, not just the BBC.

aint it already made 4 younger people anyway? and aren't they gettin rid of switch aswell?

That's what I thought, target audience of teens etc.

This does sound incredibly self-serving of the Commercial stations anyways, especially as many of them are utter bilge. No, it's not them that need to change at all, it's the stations that are pwning them left right and centre that have to change... :rolleyes:

There's a reason why DJs like JK and Joel were sent back to tinpot commercial radio after doing badly on Radio 1, after all.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

there is much worse than jk & joel on radio 1 nowdays.

if radio 1 go much younger, it will be toddler territory with the iggle piggle power hour and similar tripe. if anything, radio 1 need to plug the gap from people who are 20-40 (before radio 2 takes over). because most 13 year olds couldn't care less about radio 1, they are too interested in watching cartoons still and listening to i pods.

on the grid.

if radio 1 go much younger, it will be toddler territory with the iggle piggle power hour and similar tripe. if anything, radio 1 need to plug the .

Couldn't have put it better. Some of the conversations are already like listening to CBeebies.

The focus needs to go back on new music, not the bloody age range.

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

Guest PineapplesLikeAarons
What an excellent idea.

And, as everyone knows anyhow, R1's ACTUAL audience has a higher age range than it's "supposed" to be.

Yeah, everyone my age listens to 'heart', which is 'variety' and the newest stuff they play is Beat Again - JLS. The rest is 80s music.

Only one thing I can think of in ways I'd want the style of Radio1 to change to be more like tinpot commercial radio, the idea of the no-repeat day (usually a working day in this context, in practice often 9-5) where no song will be played more than once during this time. Not sure if that might be a little impractical for the BBC to do though.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

Yeah, everyone my age listens to 'heart', which is 'variety' and the newest stuff they play is Beat Again - JLS. The rest is 80s music.

if you don't mind me asking, but how old are you ?

im 33 & i listen to R1, i hate the crap that they play on Heart !

:)

if you don't mind me asking, but how old are you ?

im 33 & i listen to R1, i hate the crap that they play on Heart !

I am 13 (: And good, continue hating please.

why would 12-14 year olds listen to 80's music all day ?

God knows. Probably to spite me. I will stick up for Radio 1 till the dogs come home (I've never said that before! Go me! Wait, that is the right phrase..?). I get in quite a stress when people diss it and say heart is better. I shout a lot. And cry.

no you said that wrong it's cows.

I don't see the problem with age ranges, if they're getting listeners surely it doesn't matter what age it is. It just shows commercial radio how they should be doing it. it seems like Sir Andy P is trying to alienate the older listeners away from the station by reducing the IQ and age of new DJ's.

etheridge_tom.png

no you said that wrong it's cows.

I don't see the problem with age ranges, if they're getting listeners surely it doesn't matter what age it is. It just shows commercial radio how they should be doing it. it seems like Sir Andy P is trying to alienate the older listeners away from the station by reducing the IQ and age of new DJ's.

Well that would annoy me and I'm 13, but I can't see myself ever leaving R1.